5 Steps to Thicker, Longer, Healthier Hair with essential oils
1. Ask your stylist for a deep scalp massage. Massage opens hair roots for faster hair growth by stimulating blood flow. This will promote healthy, strong hair
2. Mix together 10 drops Rosemary, 10 drops Lavender, 8 drops of Cedarwood, and 5 drops Peppermint in a glass spray bottle. Let oils blend for a day or so. Add 2 tsp. fractionated coconut oil and shake to blend.
Massage into hair and scalp and let soak for 15 minutes. You can order glass spray bottle here.
3. Make a hot oil treatment. Combine 2 tsp. of high quality avocado oil and 2 tsp. almond oil in a heat proof container. Place in a hot water bath just long enough to warm the oils and apply to hair and scalp. Heat opens up the hair roots and stimulates blood flow to the pores in the scalp. The oils will moisturize and fortify the hair shaft and encourage thicker, fuller hair growth.
4. DIY Deep Hair conditioner. This is especially helpful for dry damaged hair. Mix together 2 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 Tbsp Olive oil, and 8 drops your choice of an essential oil such as Melaleuca, also known as Tea Tree. Mix together well. You may need an electric mixer.
Eggs are also a great source of protein for your hair. Use a whole egg or mix egg yolk into the mixture above.
5. Run a fine tooth comb or brush gently, but firmly through your scalp. This will help remove dead skin cells that cluster around the hair root openings detach and fall out so the root ball of the hair can breathe.
There are several underlying issues that affect hair growth.
1. Hormones- This is a big one, especially with women. When our hormones change it shows on the outside. Balanced hormones equals beautiful hair, skin and nails. Make sure if you have reached peri-menopause or menopause that you get your hormone levels tested by a bio-identical hormone specialist.
2. Diet- Nutritional deficiencies will cause your hair and skin to suffer. Healthy fats and protein (coconut oil, olive oil, MCT oil, ect..) are great hair and skin food (and brain, and heart, and joints etc). Be sure to take care of your digestive system so its absorbing the nutrients you are taking in.
3. Medication- certain prescriptions and over the counter drugs may disrupt important nutrient absorption, cause a disturbance in hormones, or even add stress to the hair follicle which will slow or stop hair growth.
4. Stress- I can not stress enough how important it is to take care of yourself emotionally. Emotions rule when it comes to your health and ability to heal.
5. Environment- This can be any number of things like toxic exposure, sun exposure, mechanical damage from styling tools, chemical damage color or other chemical processes, and build up from water (well water, swimming pool) or styling products.
Essential oils by hair type
Dry hair: 1-2 drops coconut oil or olive oil with 1-2 drops Geranium or Lavender
Oily hair: 1-2 drops Cypress, Basil, or Lemon on tips of hair only
Fragile hair: 1-2 drops Clary Sage or Roman Chamomile
Dandruff: Massage into scalp nightly
1tsp virgin coconut oil
4 drops Lemon
4 drops Lavender
4 drops Melaleuca
4 drops Rosemary
Hair loss: add 1-2 drops rosemary to shampoo to stimulate follicle
consider oils to balance hormones
3 drops Rosemary
5 drops Lavender
4 drops Cypress
4 drops Clary sage
8 drops Rosemary
10 drops Lavender
10 drops Sandalwood
Other hair tips
I also suggest a collagen protein powder by which will make your hair, skin, and nails absolutely beautiful. Collagen plays a big part in healthy nails and hair, which is why I have a twice daily smoothie made from Collagen Protein. Click the button below to go to my favorite products page to see what my favorite Collagen Protein Smoothie Mix is.